Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Preface to Fourth Edition: The Personal Stories

TEXT (p. xii): If you have a drinking problem, we hope that you may pause in reading one of the forty-two personal stories and think: "Yes, that happened to me"; or, more important,"Yes, I've felt like that"; or, most important, "Yes, I believe this program can work for me too."

THOUGHT: When I came to A.A. and heard others tell their stories, I was told to look for similarities rather than differences--"identify, don't criticize." I was told that if I was real alcoholic, then I likely suffered from "terminal uniqueness"--I could always come up with some reason why what you were telling me didn't apply to me. For a real alcoholic, that state of mind can be deadly when it comes to hearing the message of recovery in A.A.

PRAYER: Father, please enable me to set aside everything I think I know, for an open mind and a new experience; help me to see the truth about the personal stories I hear in A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment