Thursday, June 16, 2011

Foreword to First Edition: Precise Instructions

TEXT (p. xiii): We, of Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book.

THOUGHT: The fact that the Big Book provides precise instructions for how to recover from alcoholism is somewhat of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, the presence of precise instructions should instill in me a certain sense of confidence that the instructions are in fact sound. On the other hand, the presence of precise instructions increases the likelihood that I will miss something if I don't pay attention or try to tackle recovery on my own without the help of someone who is familiar with the instructions.

PRAYER: Father, please enable me to set aside everything I think I know, for an open mind and a new experience; help me to see the truth about the precise instructions in the Big Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment